Mum injured by exploding egg as she tried cooking hack seen on Loose Women

A mum-of-two suffered burns to her face, neck and chest after trying to emulate a cooking hack she saw on Loose Women.

Áine Lynch, 35, was injured in her attempt to follow a tip from panellist Frankie Bridge, who showed how to cook poached eggs in the microwave.

She was impressed when the former Saturdays singer demonstrated how to crack an egg into a mug filled partly with water and place it in the microwave.

Frankie pulled out the ‘perfect’ poached egg from the microwave on set.

Áine, who works as a client executive for Vodafone decided to try the hack herself – only for her breakfast to explode in her face, Plymouth Live reports.

She said: “On Saturday morning, my husband Johnny and I both got up and got the kids sorted out with breakfast and I started to make us breakfast at about 10.30am. I’d seen this hack on Loose Women and thought I’d give poached eggs and bacon a go. I filled a mug halfway with water, swirled it, cracked an egg in and put it on for 60 seconds.

“The egg came out overdone so I got another mug and did the same, only this time I put it in for 50 seconds.

“Once it was done, I lifted the mug out of the microwave and within seconds the egg exploded and sprayed the boiling water all over my chest, neck and face.

“I just started screaming for Johnny to come and I ran into the bathroom and started covering my chest and face in cold water.

“I soaked two flannels and kept the wounds cool while Johnny ran to our local chemist where Paul, the pharmacist, gave him cream and a burns pad and advised we go to A&E.”

Áine, from Ireland and whose children are aged 22 months and 12 weeks, continued: “We’re very lucky, but even though it was just a 10-minute drive it felt like hours because the pain was excruciating.

“I was taken straight in, without Johnny because of Covid restrictions, and the nurses covered me in burns pads and blankets because my body was shivering with the cold caused by shock.

“All that kept going though my head was thank god I didn’t have one of the kids in my arms, especially my youngest as I’m usually holding her.

“I was in A&E for five hours and sent home with a bag of pain relief and lotions and dressings.”

Áine hopes that she can spread awareness and warn others about the dangers of trying hacks like this one.

Since the incident, she said: “Thankfully Johnny’s work is very understanding and have given him the week off to look after the kids because the pain killers are so strong they leave me a bit drowsy, so it’s not safe to be alone with them.

“I’m finding it hard to sleep, so I’m now taking sleeping tablets. My emotions are really erratic now too, one minute I’m fine the next I’m crying my eyes out. I’m so afraid of being left with permanent scarring on my face.”

In a Facebook post on Sunday (April 18), Áine shared her traumatic experience and telling readers “don’t poach eggs in the microwave. I saw a hack on Loose Women and it’s fair to say it was an epic fail. It’s going to be a while before I’m back to myself but please god I’ll not have any lasting scars.”

The post has since been shared close to 700 times.